All three of American Manners and Customs books by Elizabeth Claire are for adult and young adult newcomers or visitors to the United States.
Twenty 2-page chapters are written at an intermediate to high intermediate level. American Manners and Customs is slightly more difficult than American Manners and Customs-2. Difficult words are explained in simple English in a Word Help section at the back of the book. Each chapter has two pages of open ended questions to use in your classroom or to discuss with your friends. Self-checking activities will help learners to increase their vocabulary.
- Are you a newcomer to the United States?
- Do American customs confuse you?
- Do you want to know what's going on?
- Do you wonder what to say?
You need Elizabeth Claire's American Manners and Customs-3, A Guide for Newcomers
- Manners and Customs about Time
- The Calendar
- Customs with Numbers
- Measuring in the U.S.
- Garage Sales and Flea Markets
- American Food
- Eating in a Restaurant
- Americans and Alcohol
- Retiring in the U.S.
- Religion in the U.S.
- Preparing for the End in the U.S.
- Manners and Customs at a Funeral