ESL expert Elizabeth Claire explains:
- The safest way to talk about sex and bathroom functions in the doctor's office
- Pronunciation problems that turn ordinary words into dangerous words
- Six social levels of language for body parts and functions:
- Formal, informal, slang, vulgar, children's words, and euphemisms
- New taboos in English: Terms that were safe a few years ago are now offensive
- "Politically correct" terms for people, genders, occupations, races, and nationalities
- Dangerous body language and gestures to understand and avoid.
Please note: Dangerous English in a Changing World is for adults. Discussion of these interesting words with students under the age of 18 is not advised! However, the text is suitable for self-study and it's safe to use this text with care in college and adult Ed ESL classes. They’ll appreciate it! Teacher’s tips for classroom use are included.